Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.
I recently discussed why it is important to be a guest on podcasts. I explained the benefits to you and your audience. Today I want to give you 10 tips on how to be a great podcast guest.
It must be noted that all podcasts are made by people, for people. As I’ve already told you in another article if you want to expand your reach, pitch yourself to podcasters regularly. My suggestion is to do this weekly.
When I pitch myself I manage to stay busy guesting on other podcasts. When I wait for other podcasters to contact me I sit around with no guest appearances. Don’t let that happen to you. Put in the effort and you will see some amazing results.
Podcasting is the best way to share your story. It is one of the best ways to share your experiences and expertise with the world. The most important point to remember is that there is no better way than podcasting to share your personality with a brand new audience.
Personality Always Wins
People do business with people they know, like and trust. Where have you heard that before? This is why personality wins.
How will people learn about your great personality? When you appear as a guest on one of their favorite podcasts!
10 Tips to Being an Awesome Podcast Guest
10. Consider going “off brand”. A podcast is a place to be real. No bullshit here. Your website and marketing materials need to be polished and professional. However, when you want to connect to an audience via a podcast, you need to speak to them the same way you would speak to a friend. Be sure you are speaking like a human and not a brand. Being yourself is what will endear you to the listeners. As I’ve already mentioned, personality wins.
9. Avoid the elevator pitch. If you are creating posters, coffee mugs, or t-shirts, an elevator pitch’s cliched message will be perfect. A podcast is simply a terrible place for an elevator pitch. Podcast listeners want great stories, juicy details, gossip, and true emotion. If your answers all sound like a rehearsed elevator pitch nobody is going to trust anything you say. Big Tip Moment: If you really want to understand the audience of the podcast where you will be a guest, ask the host. They know their audience.
8. Make sure YOUR audio is good. One frustration I have with my own podcast guests is that they don’t pay attention to the quality of their sound. Do not be the guest who thinks they can just call in on their telephone and then walk around “getting stuff done” while you are appearing as a guest on a podcast. This type of behavior makes you look bad and the podcasters won’t promote your episode if the audio quality is bad.
7. Always listen to one or two episodes before your appearance. One way to know what to expect is to listen to a few episodes before your appearance. You will get a good feel for the host and their approach. This is very easy to forget, but it is an essential step. Before your appearance, you should know the overall feel of the show, the show structure, and the host’s likes and dislikes. If the show host hates talking about politics, definitely do not talk about politics. If you do, it will become painfully obvious that you did not do your homework. Some hosts will send preparatory questions beforehand. Be sure to review those carefully. The host is trying to make you look good, so don’t sabotage yourself!
6. Answer the Question Properly. If you are asked a question, answer it directly. Don’t act like a politician and speak around the question without ever answering it. When you do that, listeners will start to not trust you. If you finish answering a question, stop. Do not ramble on to fill empty space. It is the interviewer’s job to keep things moving and fill the blank space. Remember that as a guest, your job is to add value to the show itself. It is fine to take a moment to think before answering a question.
5. Keep your sense of humor. Have a sense of humor and laugh. Laugher is contagious so be the leader and make the listener (and the host) laugh. People love guests who make them laugh. It could very well be the top reason you are invited back.
4. It is ok to stumble a bit. There is no need to aim for perfection. As stated earlier, being real is the important thing. Real people stumble over their words from time to time. If you stumble, don’t avoid making fun of yourself. People love that kind of reality. Big Tip Moment: Use the host’s name when you answer questions to go above and beyond.
.3. Eliminate distractions. This may seem obvious to you, but eliminate all distractions. Turn off your instant messenger, silence your phone, don’t respond to emails, and don’t eat, drink or chew gum while being interviewed.
2. Resist the urge to sell things. You are in front of a new audience. They do not know, like and trust you enough to buy from you. Instead, have some free opt-in you can promote. This will provide value to the listeners and you will grow your mailing list.
1.Be sure you know how to pronounce the name of the host. When you can’t pronounce the name of the host, you look like a moron. Don’t come off like a moron!
What to Do After an Appearance
Once your appearance is complete, your job still isn’t complete. Be sure to promote the hell out of your appearance. Always send a thank you email to the host. It will go a long way.
Be sure to leave a review of the podcast on Apple podcasts. Every show host values reviews, especially if your review is a positive one (and why wouldn’t it be).
You could also send a connection request to the host on LinkedIn. This will keep you connected should you need anything in the future.
A Few Final Tips
Because this is a very important topic, I want to share just a few more tips with you.
- Make your message concise
- Learn to speak with authority
- Be energetic
- Let the interviewer finish the question
- Don’t spend the entire time talking about yourself
- Stay relaxed
- Be enthusiastic
If you follow the steps I’ve outlined, you will have a successful guest appearance. You will soon be seen as an authority in your field the more podcasts you appear on. Be sure to list your appearances on your show’s media page. Most of all…
What is the biggest takeaway you had about being a podcast guest?Tweet
Are you an author?
If you want to learn how to sell more books than you ever imagined possible, grab our FREE white paper on the topic. How To Market And Sell More Books Than You Ever Imagined Possible is going to change your book sales forever!