Why would I need a media kit?
If you’re asking yourself something along the lines of “Aren’t press kits for major media and startup launches?” or “Press kits aren’t needed to secure podcast interviews!” — I hate to break it to you, but you’re trying to get invited onto a podcast—that makes you a media celebrity. As a media celebrity, you need a media kit.
It will help you become and look more professional because professionals have press kits. “I’m only in this for fun!” Well, okay, but if you take this step, making a press kit and looking professional will in turn:
- Help show hosts when they are considering you as a guest on their show. The media kit will get you more exposure.
- Smooth the way for you when you’re pitching show hosts. You can attach it to emails or link to it so they can read all about you and you don’t have to write the same description every single time.
- Having a media kit helps your brand spread! People can use it to spread the word about you, without you having to do it!
- A media kit will help you think critically about your expertise and how to describe it.
- A media kit makes you stand out in an otherwise crowded space. It shows you are professional, put together, and serious about your work.
- Press kits help you and your team, whether it’s a team of one or 500, your audience, whether it’s an audience of your closest friends or millions of downloaders, critics, and all the people who don’t know about you yet!
Get yourself a media kit. If you are a podcaster, you will want a media kit for your show and one for you personally.